CARE AND CLEANING
RECOMMENDED CLEANING METHODS FOR HUNTER DOUGLAS BLINDS
Regular dusting maintains a like-new appearance of most blinds, shades, shading and sheers.
For deeper cleaning, vacuum gently with a brush attachment of any vacuum cleaner.
COMPRESSED AIR OR HAIR DRYER (NON-HEAT SETTING)
Use to blow dust of selected window coverings.
· Spot-clean shades and blinds with soft cloth or sponge moistened with lukewarm water.
· Add mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging the fabric. Rubbing can damage fabrics.
STAIN-FINISHED WOOD BLINDS
Water may damage the surface, so use lemon oil or wood preservative to clean.
VINYL AND ALUMINUM VERTICAL BLINDS
Reduce build-up of static electricity by applying a very thin film of detergent on all slats.
This method is used for alternative woods blinds and shapes, aluminum blinds and most but not all, honeycomb fabrics.
1. Immerse entire shade assembly in lukewarm water with mild detergent. Wash for five minutes by gently moving liquid with your fingers.
2. Rinse with clear water.
3. Close shade before removing from rinse water.
4. Hold rails and tilt the shade to allow excess water to drain off.
5. Re-install damp shade into window opening.
6. Lower shade all the way to allow it to dry completely.
NOTE: Honeycomb shades should be dried in fully lowered position
PVC, FAUX WOOD OR VINYL PRODUCTS
· To reduce static cling and help repel dust, wipe the product with dryer sheets
· Do not use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents as they will scratch or damage the surface.
· Ultrasonic cleaning or the use of chemical solvents and scrubbing cleansers are not recommended. They will damage the product.
· Protect all fine wood, products from exposure to steam or high moisture areas, rain or outside irrigation systems to ensure their long life.
· When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering cleaner.
· Spot-cleaning with fabric cleaning wipes found at your grocery store is recommended for all tapes. These will typically not leave a stain or discolor the tapes. We suggest a cleaning test on the underneath side of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail where any stain would be the least visible.
· 100% polyester tapes can be spot-cleaned with cool distilled water using a clean white cloth that is dry. Use a gentle blotting action to clean the spot or soiled area. Rinse by blotting with clean distilled water. Let air-dry. Woolite can also be used on 100% polyester trims.
· If the tape is shiny or has a luster, DO NO USE WATER. It is most likely rayon or acetate. The result will be a water stain. Wipes are the best for all fiber contents.
FABRIC SHADES OR SHADINGS
· Do not use magnetic cleaners such as a dusting mitt on room darkening fabrics. This will damage the room darkening backing.